Saturday, August 29, 2009

Multi Engine Blog Post #1








For fall semester, I have enrolled in Multi Engine ground school and flight lab! It is going to be tons of fun. Just like my CFI ground school, I have been assigned to make some blog posts. Enjoy.

Assignment: Blog about what you want to get out of the class. Your expectations, and anything specific you would like to learn. Also blog about what your expectations are for blogging and what prior experience you have.


When I first started flying, I wanted to be a crop duster. I imagined my life living in some rural town barnstorming all over the farms. It sounded quit lovely. However, family life can change your goals. Between trying to keep Kennedy in SLC, Nicole wanting to stay close to Salt Lake, and the idea of having flight benefits, my goals have shifted. My goals now involve me gaining a multi engine rating as well as becoming a multi engine instructor.


Currently I have two goals that I am working on. One, getting a great CFI job, and two flying with SkyWest. In order to fly for SkyWest you must have a certain amount of flight hours and being a CFI is a great way to obtain them. However, I have been leaning to the idea that I might prefer to flight instruct as a career. I love teaching. Today, I was helping Militza with her homework, and she told Diana that I should become a teacher. I told her I was, I just didn't have a job yet. My concern about flight instructing as a career is being able to make enough money so that Nicole doesn't have to work and we don't have to live in poverty (although, we have become quite good at it). If I could find a flight instructing job in which I could afford a humble home, food and be able to pay the medical bills, I think I would prefer that. I would be able to be home most evenings. I love flying the small planes.



So anyway, back to the Multi Engine thing. If I am ever going to get a CFI job in which I would be able to make a decent living I would most likely need to be a multi engine instructor as well. Also, If I am ever going to fly for SkyWest, yup, need to have those Multi hours. So with the multi class, that's goal #1. Learn how to fly these multi engine aircraft. I want to know them inside and out. I would like to gain the knowledge and skill from this class so that I may quickly become a Multi Engine instructor.


I expect this class to be alot like my other ground schools. I expect that I am going to have to do alot of reading from the text book and the Seminole Information Manual (that's kind of like a owners manual for a car except about 20 times more in depth). I expect to show up to class and have activities and lessons to help me retain what I have read and to understand it. I think that I am going to learn alot about systems and emergencies. I have heard once that training in a multi engine aircraft you rarely actually fly with both engines. I imagine that I will do a lot of stuff with one engine shut down.

During my CFI I enjoyed my blogging assignments. It's kind of like writing in a journal. I just sit down and express myself. I kind of stepped out of what was asked for this assignment, but I find it nice to write down my thoughts. Obviously I have blogged before. The rest of my blog kind of speaks to that.

1 comment:

Julie's Blog said...

Great Post! Hopefully I can meet your expectations for the class and pass on as much knowledge as possible. If you do work for SkyWest in their interveiws they typically have you draw out one of the systems (electrical, fuel ect.). Hopefully this class will help you prepare so you can meet your goals. (Also, I like your pictures).