Wednesday, April 15, 2009

CFI assignment #3

Question



You have a brand new private pilot. On your very first lesson with them you do a "expectations" talk so they know what you expect them to do and what they can expect you to do. What items would you cover?



Answer

We learned in fundamentals of instructing that one of the principles of learning is readiness. Readiness implies a degree of single-mindedness and eagerness. Outside factors, such as schedule, finances, or outside responsibilities can quickly deteriorate a students ability to learn. It is my responsibility as the instructor to get the student ready to learn.


Expectations I would have for the student:


I would discuss with the amount of time, money and effort that is needed to become a pilot. Learning to fly is an investment. Like any investment, you can't get a good return unless you give towards the investment. With flying, it takes money, time, and hard work. But like an investment, can be well worth the sacrifice. However, if you are if you only invest the money, and not the time and hard work, you are probably better off not flying as flying will be difficult and expensive if you are not fully applying yourself to becoming a pilot.
I would expect my student to be willing to study on there own. I would expect them to read assignments and do research. I would expect them to show up for lessons prepared and ready to learn. I would expect the student to fly at least 2 a week, weather permitting. 3 or 4 times is more optimal. I would expect the student to be open and willing to learn. I would expect the student to be excited to learn to fly as well. I would expect the student to be on time and cancel lessons only when necessary. I would also expect the student to have the financial capabilities to meet their goals.
The student can expect me as an instructor to be professonal. I would be expected to be on time and be prepared for each lesson and only cancel lessons when absolutly neseccary. I could be expected to guide the student by suggesting study assignments, answering questions, and guiding the students learning procsess. I could be expected to take my students seriously and understand that they are investing alot to have me teach them. I will not take advantage of the student and "use" them for flight time. My primary goal will be to help them accomplish there goals. I could also be expected to be honest and follow the laws and regulations.

2 comments:

Julie's Blog said...

Thats great you covered a lot of areas and it is always good to lay out your expectations before you start that way you can refer back if there is a problem that you had talked about it. Also, I would tell them that sometimes there are instructor/student personality conficts and that if they feel that they are not learning to let you know. This opens the door more to bring up any frustrations they are having.

Joseph A said...

I'd take lessons from you...